Press on nails application guide- This post shall educate you about nail preparation, how to apply press on nails, which nail adhesive to choose, detailed applications steps with tips and tricks, mistakes to avoid.
The first concern anyone has about press on nails is “What if it falls off easily?”. “How long do they last?” “Are these press on nails strong like gel extensions?” “Will Nail glue damage my nails?”
I have been using artificial nails since more than 3 years. All product development has been done after a lot of research, development, and testing to ensure you get best fit and performance out of your press on nails set. Answer to all above concerns is – “which nail glue you choose and how you apply them.”
Press on nails application is no rocket science. It’s just 3 easy step process – “C-A-P”
- Check size
- Apply glue on the artificial nails and
- Press on – clean, prepped real nails!
The secret to get best fitting and performance from your press on nails is: Oil free natural nails before application, choosing right artificial nails size and applying glue correctly.
Since press on nails is a new concept in India, here I have provided many tips and tricks so that you can avoid common mistakes. If you follow them carefully you will get best results and wear time with any artificial nails.
A. Nail Preparation:
- Wash your hands & dry them thoroughly. Adhesive will stick only to dry and oil free nails.
- Remove any nail polish or moisture with (non-acetone) nail polish remover.
- There are extra sizes in the press on nails set. Check the nail sizes as to which fits your real nails. Ready your choice of artificial nails before applying glue.
(Optional) Preparation Tips for better application and long wear time:
- Apply cuticle remover and gently push back cuticles with a cuticle pusher.
- Cut and file your nails into short length, so that they won’t see through
- Buff natural nails with soft buffer. The adhesive bond stronger on a rough surface, giving long wear time.
B. Artificial nails Application : There are 2 ways to apply press on nails. Either with nail adhesive tabs or with liquid nail glue. You can choose glue option depending upon wear time you are looking for from 1 to 2 days, upto 5 days and 7 days or more.
a. Nail Adhesive tabs:
The adhesive tabs are pre-cut double sided tapes specially made for artificial nails.They are good alternative to liquid nail glue as these are strong enough to hold artificial nails in place and the nails don’t fall off. Currently there are 2 types of press on nail adhesive tabs available to buy from our store.
Gel : The transparent sheet with handle is gel adhesive tabs. This is slightly thicker and stronger than white paper backing tabs. Wear time is 5 to 7 days. Better water resistance.
- The nail adhesive tabs does not damage your nails.
- The adhesive residue is easy to clean from the back of nails, making artificial nails reusable for several wears.
- It is suitable to use when you want to wear artificial nails for short duration like photoshoot, event, night out, just attending wedding or party.
Application on prepped nails:
- Match the size of adhesive tab with your finger nail. Carefully lift the pre-cut nail tabs from one corner. (Refer step no. 3 in pictorial)
- Apply adhesive tabs onto your natural nails:
- For Thin adhesive tabs – place adhesive just in align with cuticle
- For Gel Adhesive tab = Place adhesive tab towards middle of nail, leaving about 1mm gap on cuticle side.
- Apply good and even pressure for better bonding. Then peel off the backing paper.
- Hold nails at 45 degree angle as shown in pictorial no. 7. Starting from cuticle side, place false nails over your natural nail and press for 10 – 15 seconds.
Tips with adhesive tabs
- Avoid placing nails as flat vertical/ parallel to your nails. This may give you raised look. Always make sure you hold artificial nail at 45 degree angle, align it with your cuticle, lock it into 1mm gap between cuticle and gel tab, then press it over natural nail. Refer pictorial step no. 7
- Use tweezer for a better hold, if glue touches your finger it will roll up and will be unusable.
- Once artificial nails is fixed, do not pull to adjust the fit. This will create a gap between artificial nails and real nail. Any gap will leave scope for water to slide in, which will loosen grip (and nails won’t last for a long time. )
- In case you feel there is a mistake in the application, remove the nail tab and reapply with a new tab on a clean nail.
b. Liquid Nail Glue
Liquid nail glue is strong quick dry adhesive, made especially for artificial nails. When applied correctly, it can hold press on nails up to 5-7 days or more.
Application on prepped nails:
- Apply a little drop of nail glue to the back of the artificial nails and spread evenly.
- Hold artificial nail at 45 degree as shown in pictorial. Starting from cuticle side, slowly press the false nail onto your natural nail for 10 – 15 seconds.
- The glue dries instantly. Work as quickly as possible.
- If you want to wear nails for short duration apply just little glue. For longer wear apply 1 drop on artificial nails and 1 drop on natural nails, spread evenly.
Tips with liquid glue:
- In case of any mistake, never forcefully remove the nails to adjust fit. Always remove the nails after soaking in warm water and reapply on a clean surface.
- Spread glue drops evenly while applying for easy clean up. Thick nail glue residues are hard to come off from artificial nails.
- Clean neck of liquid glue bottle with lint free wipe after every use and then replace the cap to store.
Expert Advise: With liquid nail glue, the artificial nails stay on for more than 7 days. (If you carry it well). In normal condition, the liquid glue does not cause any harm on natural nails. But If the artificial nail comes lose or is not properly sealed down during application, moisture will collect. So If you see any gap in between nails anytime, remove the nail and reapply on clean surface. It takes hardly 5 minutes to soak nails in warm water and remove. So why not take precaution and keep our nails healthy?!
C. Removal of the reusable designer artificial nails:
- Soak your nails in hot water (lukewarm water to be avoided) for 1 minute for adhesive tabs and 5 minutes for liquid glue.
- When bonding of the glue is loose, use a nail wood stick / cuticle pusher to GENTLY push them off from cuticle side.
- If the fake nails do not come off easily, soak in warm water for few more minutes.
- Any glue residue on natural nails can be cleaned with nail polish remover.
- Apply cuticle oil to moisturize your nails and hands.
- Do not forcefully pull the nails from tip side.
- The glue does not harm natural nails, it’s wrong or forceful removal which can! So please keep patience, it takes just 5 minutes in warm water.
Last but not the least, take care of your nails. Always wear gloves while doing household work and NEVER use nails as tools. You may buy Alps nail art designer press on nails here.