This post shall educate you about nail preparation, which nail adhesive to choose, detailed steps with tips and tricks, mistakes to avoid.
I have been using artificial nails since 2 years. All product development has been done after a lot of research, development, and testing to ensure you get best fit and performance.
The application is no rocket science. It’s just 3 easy step process – “C-A-P”
- Check size
- Apply glue on the nail tips and
- Press on – clean, prepped real nails!
The secret to get best fitting and performance is: Oil free nails before application, choosing right nail sizes and applying glue correctly.
Since it is a new concept in India, here I have provided many tips and tricks so that you can avoid common mistakes. If you follow them carefully you will get best results and wear time.
A. Nail Preparation:
- Wash your hands & dry them thoroughly. Adhesive will stick only to dry and oil free nails.
- Remove any nail polish or moisture with (non-acetone) nail polish remover.
- There are extra sizes in the kit. Check the nail tip sizes as to which fits your real nails. Ready your choice of Nail tips before applying glue.
(Optional) Preparation Tips for better application and long wear time:
- Apply cuticle remover and gently push back cuticles with a cuticle pusher.
- Cut and file your nails into short length, so that they won’t see through
- Buff natural nail plate with soft buffer. The adhesive bond stronger on a rough surface, giving long wear time.
- If needed, lightly file false nail tip from sides (just 1mm) to get the best fit. If you wear bigger nail size than required, they won’t bond well and will pop off easily.
B. Application : There are 2 ways of applying nail tips, either with nail adhesive tabs or with liquid glue.
a. Nail Adhesive tabs:
The adhesive tabs are pre-cut double sided tapes specially made for artificial nails. They are not as strong as liquid glue but they are strong enough to hold artificial nails in place and the nails don’t fall off. When applied correctly, it lasts on nails up to 2-3 days until exposed to hot water. The tab residue is easy to clean from the back of nails, making artificial nails reusable for several wears. It is suitable to use when you want to wear artificial nails for short duration (Up to 2 days) or just for attending a night out or party.
Application on prepped nails:
- Carefully lift the pre-cut nail tabs from one edge.
- Apply pre-cut adhesive tabs onto your natural nails in one go. Press well. Cut extra tab before peeling off the paper.
- Peel off the backing paper. (If glue gets lifted along with paper, press paper backing again.
- Starting from cuticle side, place false nails over your natural nail and press on for 10 – 15 seconds.
Tips with adhesive tabs
- Use tweezer for a better hold, if glue touches your finger it will roll up and will be unusable.
- Once applied, Do not adjust the tab to change fitting. It will pull off the glue and the nails won’t stick well.
- Once artificial nails is fixed, do not pull to adjust the fit. This will create a gap between artificial nails and real nail. Any gap will leave scope for water to slide in, which will loosen grip (and nails won’t last for a long time. )
- In case you feel there is a mistake in the application, remove the nail tab and reapply with a new tab on a clean surface.
b. Liquid Nail Glue
Liquid nail glue is strong quick dry adhesive, made especially for nails. When applied correctly, it can hold nail tips up to 5-7 days or more.
Application on prepped nails:
- Apply a little drop of nail glue to the back of the pre-designed artificial nail tips and spread evenly.
- Starting from cuticle side, slowly press the false nail onto your natural nail for 10 – 15 seconds.
- The glue dries instantly. Work as quickly as possible.
- If you want to wear nails for short duration apply just little glue. For longer wear apply 1 drop on artificial nails and 1 drop on natural nails, spread evenly.
Tips with liquid glue:
- In case of any mistake, never forcefully remove the nails to adjust fit. Always remove the tabs after soaking in warm water and reapply on a clean surface.
- Spread glue drops evenly while applying for easy clean up. Thick nail glue residues are hard to come off from artificial nails.
- Clean neck of liquid glue bottle with lint free wipe after every use and then replace the cap to store.
- After 2-3 days of wear if you see any gap in between nails, remove the nail and reapply on clean surface.
With liquid nail glue, the artificial nails stay on for more than 7 days. (If you carry it well). But I DO NOT recommend wearing nails for more than 4-5 days. This is because we do not realize when our nail grip has loosened up and if there is any water or dust collecting in that gap. In normal condition, the liquid glue does not cause any harm on natural nails. But If we ignore and leave moisture under gap, it will start accumulating bacteria and cause infection.
It takes hardly 5 minutes to soak nails in warm water and remove. So why not take precaution and keep our nails healthy?! So do not wear artificial nails for more than 5 days at a go. You can always remove and clean your nails. Then re-use it on a clean surface.
C. Removal of the designer artificial nail tips:
- Soak your nails in hot water (lukewarm water to be avoided) for 1 minute for adhesive tabs and 5 minutes for liquid glue.
- When bonding of the glue is loose, use a nail wood stick / cuticle pusher to GENTLY push them off from cuticle side.
- If the fake nails do not come off easily, soak in warm water for few more minutes.
- Any glue residue on natural nails can be cleaned with nail polish remover.
- Apply cuticle oil to moisturize your nails and hands.
- Do not forcefully pull the nails from tip side.
- The glue does not harm natural nails, it’s wrong or forceful removal which can! So please keep patience, it takes just 5 minutes in warm water.
Last but not the least, take care of your nails. Always wear gloves while doing household work and Never use nails as tools.